Driving is a privilege, not a right. But it’s also one of the most dangerous activities that we do every day. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that millions of car accidents happen each year in America alone! What causes those accidents? Reckless driving habits such as these five common ones:
- Driving drunk
- Texting and driving
- Speeding too fast for the road conditions
- Not paying attention to exceeding posted speed limits, red lights, stop signs, or other traffic signals.
- Tailgating another car at high speeds without a break in between cars.
What can you do? It’s up to you! One of the best things that all motorists can do is drive defensively, not aggressively. Be courteous on the roads by observing these simple rules:
- Give plenty of space when passing others,
- Don’t follow closely behind someone else with your headlights off, then turn them back on just before an intersection as this will blind drivers who haven’t seen your vehicle coming up from behind;
- Always signal turns well ahead of time, so others on the road are aware that you’re going to make a change.
- Make sure your vehicle has plenty of gas before heading out for an extended drive and avoid distractions like texting while driving or talking too much with passengers to keep full attention on the behavior of other drivers, pedestrians, and animals around them.
What if a reckless driver crashes into your vehicle?
If you find yourself in a vehicle collision with another driver, it is crucial to take care of the following:
- Take photos of the scene.
- Make sure that all passengers are accounted for and safe.
- Be aware if anyone was injured before first responders arrive on the scene.
- Check your mobile phone’s battery level as well as any other devices that were close by so they can be charged or replaced while waiting for authorities to show up (including keys, wallets).
Now may also be an excellent time to ask bystanders who might have taken pictures surrounding the crash site about their contact information just in case something is missing from what you captured during those few moments when everything went wrong. Lastly, contact a personal injury lawyer like Caffee Law Firm who can take your case and help you get financial compensation from the person at fault for all of your losses.